"Tagine" refers to slowly simmered meat, fish and vegetable Moroccan dishes that have both a sweet and savory flavor. It is also the name of the earthenware dish that these highly aromatic stews are prepared and served in.
2 tbsp. olive oil
4 lb. boneless lamb shoulder
2 large onions, chopped
2 cups water
1 cup tomato puree
2 tsp. salt
1⁄2 tsp. ground black pepper
1 tsp. ground ginger
1⁄2 tsp. ground cinnamon
1⁄2 tsp. ground turmeric
4 carrots, thickly sliced
2 sweet potatoes, peeled and cubed
8 oz. pitted dried plums (prunes)
8 oz. dried apricots
2 oz. toasted, sliced almonds
1. Heat oil in deep skillet; add lamb and brown on all sides.
2. Remove meat and sauté onions in drippings for 5 min.
3. Return meat to pot and stir in water, tomato puree, salt, pepper, ginger, cinnamon, and turmeric; bring to a boil. Reduce heat, cover, and simmer 1_ hr.
4. Add carrots and sweet potatoes; cover and simmer 15 min, or until almost tender.
5. Stir in dried plums and apricots; cook 5 min. longer until vegetables and fruits
6. Serve tagine with couscous, garnished with toasted almonds.