Key Lime Mousse
A dazzling presentation befits this tangy, sweet and light-as-air mousse. This dessert is a fitting end to a fine meal.
1 tbsp. unflavored gelatin
1⁄4 cup light rum
1⁄3 cup fresh lime juice
1 tbsp. finely grated lime zest
3 eggs, separated, at room temperature
1⁄2 cup sugar
3⁄4 cup heavy cream
1⁄4 tsp. mint extract (optional)
Graham cracker crumbs
Slivered lime peel
Sliced star fruit
1. Sprinkle gelatin over rum in small saucepan; let soften for 1 min. Stir in lime juice, zest, egg yolks, and 1⁄4 cup sugar. Place over low heat and stir constantly until thickened.
2. Transfer mixture to a metal bowl set in a bowl of ice water. Cool, stirring occasionally, until thickened but not set.
3. Beat egg whites with salt until soft peaks form. Beat in remaining sugar, 1 tbsp. at a time, until whites form stiff peaks. Stir one-fourth the whites into lime mixture; gently but thoroughly fold in remaining beaten whites.
4. Beat cream until stiff; fold into lime mixture with mint extract until well blended. Spoon into stemmed glasses and sprinkle graham cracker crumbs around the outer edge. Garnish with slivered peel and sliced star fruit.
5. For presentation, spoon brown sugar on plate to resemble beach sand; arrange chocolate shell candies on top. Place glasses of mousse on plates.