Hickory-Smoked Salmon Tostada
Hickory smoked salmon is a luxurious topping for tostadas. Zesty jicama and cabbage slaw, avocado and a creamy dressing round out the tasty meal.
8 6-oz. salmon filets
Hickory wood chips, as needed
1 1⁄2 cups sour cream
1⁄2 cup orange juice
4 tsp. orange zest
2 jicamas, peeled, julienned
1 red cabbage, shredded
1 Napa cabbage, shredded
1⁄2 cup cilantro leaves
16 8-in. flour tortillas
Canola oil, as needed for frying
4 ripe avocados, peeled and sliced
1. Smoke salmon in a heavy skillet or hotel pan over wood chips until fully cooked. When cool, flake filets with a fork.
2. In a medium bowl, mix together sour cream, orange juice and orange zest. Season to taste.
3. In a large bowl, toss together jicama, cabbage and cilantro with 1⁄2 the dressing. Reserve refrigerated.
4. In a skillet, heat oil and fry tortillas until brown and crispy; drain.
5. Place two tortillas on a plate and top with 1⁄4 cup jicama slaw. Mound one flaked salmon filet on top of slaw and arrange 1⁄8 of the avocado slices around sides. Drizzle with reserved dressing.