Herbed Idaho Potato Gaufrettes
Herbed mashed potatoes are layered onto homemade potato chips for a luscious and elegant side. The crisp chips and the creamy potatoes make a great pairing.
10 Idaho Potatoes, peeled and chunked
1⁄2 cup unsalted butter
1⁄2 cup fresh chives, minced
2 tbsp. fresh dill, minced
2 tbsp. fresh basil, minced
3⁄4 cup shallots, minced
3⁄4 cup garlic, minced
Salt and pepper, to taste
Oil for frying, as needed
1. Peel and cook 7 potatoes in boiling salted water until tender.
2. Mash potatoes with butter, herbs, shallots, garlic, salt, and pepper. Keep warm; set aside.
3. Using a mandolin, slice remaining 3 potatoes to produce about 100 chips. (Do not wash starch from potatoes.)
4. Cook chips until crisp and golden brown.
5. To assemble: Place warm mashed potato mixture in a pastry bag and pipe small rosettes on serving plate. Place 1 chip on top of each rosette. Repeat, alternating chips with rosettes, finishing each with a rosette.