Hazelnut-Cherry Breakfast Biscotti
Great for breakfast or that morning coffee break. A bit of orange zest in the cookie batter intensifies the flavor of the dried cherries.
2 cups flour
1 cup finely ground oatmeal
2 tsp. baking powder
1⁄2 tsp. salt
3⁄4 cup sugar
4 oz. butter
1 tsp. grated orange zest
1 tsp. vanilla extract
3 large eggs
4 oz. hazelnuts, toasted, coarsely chopped
3 oz. dried cherries
1. Combine flour, oatmeal, baking powder, and salt in a bowl.
2. Combine sugar and butter in large mixer bowl; beat until fluffy. Add orange zest and vanilla; mix well. Add eggs, one at a time; blend well after each addition. Add flour mixture; beat until dough forms.
3. Mix hazelnuts and cherries into dough. Turn dough out onto floured surface and knead a few times. Divide dough in half.
4. On parchment-covered baking sheet, form each dough half into a thick, 10- x 3-in. rectangle. Bake at 350°F about 25 min., or until light golden and firm. Cool 5 min. on baking sheet.
5. Transfer rectangles to work surface and cut into 3⁄4-in. thick slices. Place back on baking sheet; bake 15 min. Turn biscotti over and bake 15 min. longer. Cool.