Adding vegetables to muffins has become a hit at Jefferson County Public Schools, with the introduction last year of the Harvest Muffin. The muffin’s star ingredient is locally sourced butternut squash, which is frozen so it can be used throughout the year. The muffin also includes crushed pineapple and cinnamon for hints of sweetness.
34.6 lb. wheat flour
25 lb. all-purpose flour
54 lb. sugar
0.8 lb. baking soda
0.2 lb. baking powder
0.2 lb. salt
0.4 lb. cinnamon
20.2 lb. eggs
1.2 lb. vanilla
30 lb. crushed pineapple
27.6 lb. oil
54 lb. butternut squash
- Add wheat flour, all-purpose flour, sugar, baking soda, baking powder, salt and cinnamon to mixing bowl.
- Mix with paddle on speed one for 30 seconds.
- Add eggs and vanilla and mix for 1 minute on speed one, then for 2 minutes on speed three.
- Scrape bowl.
- Add crushed pineapple and mix on speed one until crushed pineapple is incorporated.
- Add oil and mix on speed one until oil is incorporated.
- Add butternut squash mix on speed one until butternut squash is mixed.
- Bake at 340°F for 35 to 45 minutes.