Get out of the sandwich rut by adding golden figs to the usual ham and cheese duo. The sandwich gets more sophisticated upgrades with the addition of Brie cheese and arugula. The ingredients get melted together in the oven for extra taste appeal.
1 long (24-in.) French baguette
1 large yellow onion, peeled with core removed
6 dried golden figs
Salt and pepper, to taste
12 oz. sliced ham
6 oz. brie cheese
¼ cup arugula
1. Preheat oven to 375°F.
2. Slice figs into ¼-in. slices; slice onions lengthwise into fine strips. In small bowl, toss figs and onions lightly with salt and pepper.
3. Place baguette in oven for 5 min. to toast. Remove from oven and cut ends off baguette. Cut baguette into four 6-in sections. Split each section to form a top and bottom.
4. Spread mustard evenly on each bottom baguette half.
5. Divide ham evenly among the 4 bottoms. Slice brie and lay it on top of ham on each sandwich. Place sandwich bottoms in oven for 5 min. or until brie just starts to melt.
6. Place dried figs on top of cheese. Toss seasoned onion with arugula and divide among the 4 sandwiches.
7. Spread mayonnaise on inside of each baguette top; place over filling to complete the sandwiches and serve.
Recipe courtesy of La Brea Bakery, Los Angeles