Ham and Rice Balls (Arancini)
These golden brown and crisp ham and rice balls have a nice cheese surprise in the middle. Serve these delicious appetizers with roasted tomato sauce for dipping.
1⁄4 cup Parmesan cheese
8 cups prepared plain risotto
1⁄4 lb. Black Forest ham, finely diced
1⁄4 lb. Fontina, 1⁄2-in. dice
1⁄2 cup flour
1 1⁄2 cups dried bread crumbs
Vegetable oil, for frying
Roasted tomato sauce, for dipping
1. In a large pot, add Parmesan cheese to prepared risotto while still hot. Adjust seasoning, stir in ham and mix well. Set aside to cool completely.
2. Wet hands and divide rice evenly to form 2-in. balls.
3. Push Fontina cube into center of ball and reshape, sealing in cheese. Repeat until 16 balls are formed.
4. In a small bowl, whisk eggs. Roll balls in flour, dip in eggs, then roll in bread crumbs. Refrigerate at least 30 min.
5. In a heavy frying pan, heat oil to 350° F. Add rice balls and cook 3-4 min. until golden brown and heated through completely. Remove with slotted spoon and drain on paper towel. Serve with roasted tomato sauce for dipping.