Grilled Turkey Chops
Grilled turkey takes on a whole new life when topped with Pecan Pear Chutney and served on a bed of Cranberry Spaetzle.
Pecan Pear Chutney:
2 tbsp. unsalted butter
1 small red onion, peeled and diced
6 pears, peeled and diced
1 tbsp. roasted minced garlic
2 cups light brown sugar
1⁄2 cup red wine vinegar
2 tsp. salt
1 cup pecans, toasted and chopped
1 cup frozen cranberries
1⁄2 cup white wine or water
1⁄4 cup sugar
7 large eggs, beaten
2 tsp. salt
2 1⁄2 cups unbleached flour
1⁄4 cup unsalted butter
4 (7 oz.) turkey breast chops
Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
1. For chutney: Heat a large sauté pan over med. heat. Add butter and onions; cook until translucent.
2. Add pears and garlic. Cook until pears brown.
3. Add sugar, vinegar, salt, and pecans. Cook on med. heat for 40 min. or until thickened. Cover; refrigerate.
4. For spaetzle: Combine cranberries, wine, and sugar in saucepan. Cook and stir over high heat for 5 min. Remove and cool. Puree mixture in blender; strain into bowl.
5. Add eggs and salt; whisk in flour.
6. Put pasta strainer over a pot of boiling water. Work batter through strainer into the water.
7. Cook about 4 min., or until noodles float. Transfer to a bowl of cold water. Remove and drain on paper towels.
8. For turkey chops: Separate breasts by cutting through center of rib cage. Slice 2-in. chops against the grain from half-breast.
9. Brush chops with oil. Sprinkle both sides with salt and pepper. Place chops on a preheated grill and cook over med. direct heat until internal temp reaches 165°F, 4-5 min. per side.
10. For service: Heat 1 tbsp. unsalted butter in sauté pan. Add spaetzle and heat through. Plate spaetzle and chop. Spoon on chutney.