Grilled Ham Sandwich with Skewered Fruit
A touch of the tropics is added to the common ham sandwich by broiling the meat and a fruit skewer with peach or plum slices, grapes, and pineapple wedges, both flavored with an orange juice and mustard sauce.
2 lb. unsliced ham or Canadian bacon
1 cup honey mustard
3 tbsp. orange juice
4 peaches or plums, sliced
1⁄2 lb. grapes
1⁄2 fresh pineapple, cut into wedges
2 tbsp. chopped cilantro
2 tbsp. chopped scallions
6 sesame buns, toasted
1. Slice ham or Canadian bacon into 1⁄3-in. thick rounds. Combine mustard and orange juice; brush a little on each ham slice and reserve.
2. Thread peach or plum slices, grapes, and pineapple wedges on small skewers. Brush with some of mustard mixture and reserve.
3. Dice remaining peaches or plums and combine with enough of remaining mustard mixture to moisten. Stir in cilantro and scallions; reserve relish.
4. Per order, grill or broil one ham slice and two fruit skewers until heated through and lightly glazed, turning to brown evenly.
5. Serve ham on toasted buns with lettuce and fruit relish; accompany with fruit skewers.