Grilled Breast of Duck Salad with Tabasco-Flavored Lime Vinaigrette
Duck gets a Latin spin with this salad, which features red and green bell peppers, fennel, carrots, scallion flowers and Tabasco sauce.
2 oz. Original Tabasco Pepper Sauce
1 oz. lime juice
1 oz. sugar
1 oz. white vinegar
1⁄2 oz. garlic, chopped
10 oz. canola oil
10 oz. extra virgin olive oil
Salt to taste
White pepper to taste
1 bunch cilantro, divided
1 qt. oil for frying
6 flour tortillas, 6 to 8 in.in diameter
6 corn tortillas, 6 to 8 in. in diameter
6 duck breasts, split
2 lb. mesclun greens
2 pt. alfalfa or barley sprouts 8 oz. jicama, julienned
8 oz. carrots, julienned
8 oz. red bell peppers, julienned
8 oz. green bell peppers, julienned
8 oz. fennel
2⁄3 cup tomato concasse
Few drops Tabasco Green Jalapeño Pepper Sauce
12 scallion flowers
60 pieces cucumber curls
1. To make vinaigrette, combine Tabasco pepper sauce, lime juice, sugar, vinegar and garlic in blender. Mix on low for a few seconds. Slowly add canola and olive oils until emulsified. Season with salt and
pepper. Add half of cilantro and stir by hand.
2. To make tortilla shells, heat frying oil in small round pot to 350˚F. Cut tortillas in half and fry in oil. Using tongs to hold in place, make semicircle shells from flour tortillas and coronets from corn tortillas as they fry.
3. Remove skin and sinew from duck breasts. Marinate in half of Tabasco-lime vinaigrette for about
30 minutes. Grill to desired temperature.
4. To assemble salads, place flour tortilla shell at back of plate. Lightly toss mesclun in vinaigrette and pile in front of shell. Arrange some sprouts and vegetables in corn tortilla coronet and place in salad greens. Toss remaining julienned vegetables in vinaigrette and arrange in front of coronet.
5. Place scallion flower next to coronet and place 5 cucumber curls around salad.
6. Thinly slice duck breast and shingle around salad. Drizzle duck with vinaigrette and spoon some on front of plate. Add few drops of Tabasco Green Jalapeño Pepper Sauce around salad.
Garnish with tomato concasse and cilantro.
Recipe by Tabasco