Green Eggs & Ham Breakfast Burrito
Breakfast is one of the most active grab-n-go dayparts. Main Street Café offers several portable items, including this popular burrito. It’s named after the Dr. Seuss children’s classic, Green Eggs and Ham, but the ingredients are a bit upgraded from the ones used in the book. The Black Forest ham, cilantro pesto and queso fresco will appeal to adult palates.
2 oz. heavy cream
4 oz. thinly sliced black forest ham or country ham
4 (12-in.) flour tortillas
2 oz. cilantro pesto (recipe follows)
4-5 oz. shredded queso fresco or mozzarella cheese
4 oz. salsa verde (recipe follows)
2 bunches fresh cilantro (including stems)
Juice and zest of 1 lemon
Juice and zest of 1 lime
1/2 cup blended oil
8-10 tomatillos, quartered
1 white onion, quartered
2 cloves garlic, peeled
2 oz. blended oil
1 jalapeño, split with seeds (remove seeds for less heat)
1 bunch fresh cilantro (including stems)
2 tsp. kosher salt
1 tsp. cracked black pepper
- In bowl, beat eggs with heavy cream.
- In large nonstick skillet coated with nonstick cooking spray, gently scramble egg mixture over med. heat until egg curds are just set. Add ham.
- Warm flour tortillas in microwave for 15 sec. or on a warm griddle.
- For service, place about 1 tbsp. cilantro pesto on each tortilla. Add one-fourth the scrambled eggs and one-fourth the cheese; top with 1 tbsp. salsa verde.
- Roll each burrito up tucking in the sides. Serve with a side of the salsa.
Puree all ingredients in blender slowly with oil. Store in small container with plastic lid.
Preheat oven to 375°F. In large bowl, toss together all ingredients except cilantro, salt and pepper; place on baking sheet. Bake until tomatillos, onions and jalapeños are soft and lightly brown. Remove from oven; transfer to blender. Add cilantro, salt and pepper. Blend until smooth.