Golden Turmeric Lentil Soup with Chutney Crostini and Yogurt
A delicious soup that is good for you too. The lentils and vegetables provide plenty of flavor and texture, the turmeric adds lovely color.
1 cup red lentils, picked over
2 onions, chopped
2 tbsp. vegetable oil
5 garlic cloves, minced
1 tsp. ground cumin
2 tsp. turmeric
3 cups chicken broth
1 1⁄2 cups water
1 cup drained canned tomatoes
8 rounds of toasted bread
Fresh mint leaves
1. In a large bowl, wash lentils in several changes of water until water runs clear. Drain and set aside.
2. In a large heavy saucepan, cook the onions in the vegetable oil over moderate heat, stirring, until softened.
3. Add garlic to the onions and cook the mixture, stirring for about a minute.
4. Add cumin and turmeric and cook mixture over low heat, stirring, for one minute.
5. Add the lentils, chicken broth, 1 1⁄2 cups water, and tomatoes, and simmer the mixture, covered, for 20-25 min. or until the lentils are tender.
6. In a blender or food processor, puree the mixture in batches, transferring to a serving bowl when pureed. Season with salt and pepper.
7. For Garnish: Top each crostini with chutney and a dollop of yogurt. To finish, add fresh mint leaves.