Gluten Free Crab and Avocado Soup with Cucumber Topping
Pull together the tastes of the land and sea with this medley of crab and avocado with cucumber topping soup. It’s sure to be a crowd-pleasing favorite dish for the gluten free diner in your life.
4 oz. butter
8 scallions sliced
4 oz. sherry wine
1 qt. prepared RC Healthy Foundations™ Gluten-Free Seafood Base
1 quart prepared RC Healthy Foundations™ Gluten-Free Vegetable Base
14 each ripe avocadoes
10 limes juiced
1 tbls. RC Chipotle Chile Flavor Concentrate
1 tsp. RC Cilantro Flavor
3 tsp. dry RC Healthy Foundations™ Gluten-Free Vegetable Base
2 tsp. ground white pepper
2 tsp. salt
1 TBSP. Healthy Foundations™ Gluten-Free Seafood Base
1 lb. “cleaned” crab meat
(yield – 2 gallons)
4 ripe tomatoes seeded and cut into a very small dice or (brunoise)
2 cucumbers peeled, seeded and cut into a very small dice (brunoise)
2 oz. red onion cut into very small dice (brunoise)
1 tbls. RC Basil in Oil
2 oz. shallot oil*
2 oz. very good quality extra virgin olive oil
Salt & white pepper to taste
(yield – 2 lbs.)
1 gallon blended vegetable oil
1 lb. RC Chopped Shallots in Oil
(yield - 1 gallon)
- Melt butter in a small sauté pan and sweat scallions until tender.
- Add sherry and cool to 40°F.
- Combine prepared Healthy Foundations™ Gluten-Free Bases, peeled & seeded avocadoes, lime juice & buttermilk; puree, strain & season with remaining ingredients and fold in crab meat.
- Keep prepared soup very cold under 40°F and tightly covered.
- Combine all ingredients together and keep refrigerated.
- Heat the oil in a sauce pot and add RC Chopped Shallots in Oil.
- Cook until shallots are a dark brown & strain out.
- Soup will get a grey oxidized layer on surface if not covered & especially overnight. It is suggested that you produce only enough of this recipe that you can serve within 2 days.
- Serving Suggestion:
Portion 6 oz. of very cold Crab & Avocado Soup in a pre-chilled bowl and place ¾ oz. Cucumber Topping in the middle of the soup portion. Drizzle with extra shallot oil if you wish and garnish with thinly sliced scallions. The crunchy texture of the cucumbers works very well with the creamy crab & avocado flavors.
- (They can be used in other dishes if you wish, but are a little bitter plus you can make garlic oil this same way only toast the chopped garlic to a golden brown. One easy way to help tell them apart in the cooler is strain shallots out & leave toasted garlic in the flavored oil).