Glazed Squab with Baby Vegetables
Roast squab stuffed with fresh herbs and shallots, glazed with lavender honey. Served with roasted pattypan squash and tiny zucchini, with a side of herbed rice pilaf.
3 1-lb. squabs
Salt and pepper, to taste
8 oz. shallots, blanched
3 lavender or rosemary sprigs
3 tbsp. duck fat or olive oil
12 oz. tiny pattypan squash
12 oz. tiny zucchini
3 tbsp. lavender honey
3 cups herbed rice pilaf
Rosemary or lavender sprigs
1. Season squabs inside and out with salt and pepper; insert 2 shallots and l herb sprig into cavity of each. Tie legs together and fold wings back.
2. Heat 2 tbsp. duck fat or oil in a large sauté pan until hot. Brown squabs in batches until golden all over; remove from pan.
3. To drippings, add squash and zucchini; sauté 3 min.
4. Arrange squabs in roasting pan; scatter squash, zucchini, and remaining shallots around pan. Drizzle with any remaining pan drippings.
5. Roast squabs and vegetables in 450°F oven for 20 min. Brush with honey and roast 5-10 min. longer, or until cooked through. Let rest 5 min. Serve with rice and garnish with herbs.