Glazed Short Ribs
A tantalizing blend of seasonings, including star anise and lavender, grace these short ribs with flavor. The ribs are cooked until tender and served with a reduction sauce.
8 short ribs of beef, 16 oz. each, plus extra bones, roasted
Salt and pepper
4 tbsp. olive oil
6 carrots, coarsely chopped
6 celery stalks, coarsely chopped
4 onions, coarsely chopped
1 cup port
2 cups red wine
4 juniper berries
2 tsp. coriander
1 tsp. fennel seed
2 cinnamon sticks
2 whole star anise
4 bay leaves
1 tsp. black peppercorns
2 1⁄2-in. piece fresh gingerroot
12 thyme sprigs
1⁄4 cup parsley leaves
1 tsp. lavender
2-4 cups chicken stock
1. Season ribs with salt and pepper. In a large pan, heat oil and sear until brown.
2. Add carrots, celery, and onions to the pan and lightly brown. Add roasted bones and deglaze pan with port.
3. Add remaining ingredients and cover pot with foil. Simmer until tender, about 2 hr. Remove ribs from pot and set aside.
4. Strain liquids through a sieve. Degrease remaining liquid, and reduce until liquid has a sauce consistency.
5. Glaze ribs with sauce and serve immediately.