Fried Chicken and Apples
Everyone loves fried chicken, the breaded, fried apple takes an old favorite and makes it new. Serve with plenty of napkins on the side.
3 lb. chicken pieces
2 cups buttermilk
2 cups flour
1⁄2 cup crushed corn flakes
2 tsp. paprika
1 tsp. dry mustard
Salt and pepper, to taste
2 large apples, cored
5-6 cups vegetable oil
1. Place chicken in hotel pan or large, shallow dish; pour 11⁄2 cups buttermilk over chicken. Cover and chill 30 min.
2. In bowl, mix flour, corn flakes, paprika, mustard, and salt and pepper. Drain chicken pieces and dredge in mixture, two at a time, turning to coat all sides. Place chicken on rack and set aside for 30 min.
3. Meanwhile, slice apples about 1⁄2-in. thick. Dip apple rings into remaining 1⁄2 cup buttermilk and dredge with remaining flour mixture. Set on rack.
4. Heat oil in deep fryer to 350°F. Per order, deep-fry chicken pieces in hot oil 10-15 min., lowering temperature to prevent overbrowning, if necessary. When chicken is cooked, keep warm in oven and deep-fry apple rings 5 min.
5. Thread apple rings on wooden skewer and serve in basket with chicken.