Fresh Tuna Melt
At Food 101 in Atlanta, executive chef Scott Crawford upgrades a home-style sandwich into a specialty. The fresh Ahi tuna is submerged in canola oil and cooked confit-style, with onions and garlic cloves.
5 lb. fresh tuna end cuts
2 cups canola oil
2 onions, julienned
2 garlic cloves
1 cup onions from confit, chopped
3 celery ribs, chopped
3 cups mayonnaise
1 lemon, juiced
Salt and pepper
40 slices 9-grain bread
40 slices aged Swiss cheese
40 fresh tomato slices
Iceberg lettuce leaves
1. For the confit: Cut the tuna pieces into equal-size chunks and place in a deep roasting pan. Cover tuna with oil and add onion and garlic.
2. Cover roasting pan and cook in a 225°F oven for 35-55 min. (Make sure the oil doesn’t boil.)
3. Cool tuna in oil, then place in colander for 15 min. until all oil drains away.
4. For the salad mix: Chop tuna into large pieces; combine with chopped onions from confit, celery, mayonnaise, and lemon juice. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
5. To make sandwiches: Spread bread with a thin layer of mayonnaise and toast lightly on both sides. Place a slice of Swiss cheese on each piece of toast; top half of the pieces with tuna mixture, tomato slices, and lettuce. Cover with remaining toast pieces.
6. Grill sandwiches on buttered flattop for 15-30 sec. per side to melt cheese and finish browning.