Fettuccine with Pumpkin and Bread Crumbs
Combining butternut squash, anchovies, onion, garlic and bread crumbs this pasta is a great option for fall menus.
1 box Barilla Fettuccine
6 salt-packed anchovy fillets
1/4 cup milk
1/2 cup bread crumbs
4 tbsp. extra virgin olive oil
1 red onion, finely chopped
4 garlic cloves, sliced thin
1 lb. butternut squash, peeled, seeded, cut in 1/4-in. cubes
Freshly ground black pepper to taste
1/4 cup fresh Italian parsley, finely chopped
1. Bring large pot of water to boil. Meanwhile, soak anchovy fillets in milk for 20 mins. Remove from milk, rinse, drain and set aside.
2. Toast bread crumbs in dry skillet until lightly browned. Set aside. Heat 2 tbsp. of olive oil in large skillet over medium heat.
3. Add onion, garlic and anchovies. Cook over medium heat, stirring occasionally, until onion and garlic are softened and anchovies have begun to break up. Add squash and turn heat up to high. Cook for 5 mins. or until cubes are tender and browned at edges. Season with salt and pepper and remove from heat.
4. Cook fettuccine for 1 min. less than according to package directions. While pasta is cooking, warm squash mixture. Drain pasta and add to skillet with squash.
5. Add parley and remaining 2 tbsp. of olive oil and toss over high heat for 1 min. Transfer pasta to serving bowl and top with bread crumbs. Serve immediately.
Recipe by Barilla