Farmers Market Couscous
Robust vegetarian couscous with tempeh, Brussels sprouts, carrots, red peppers, yellow squash, mushrooms, red pearl onions and a bit of honey.
4 oz. tempeh, cut into strips
3 tbsp. olive oil
2 tbsp. balsamic vinegar
1-2 tsp. thyme leaves
Salt and fresh ground pepper
4 garlic cloves, minced
8 oz. Brussels sprouts, blanched and halved
4 oz. carrots, cut in thin strips
1 red bell pepper, seeded and sliced
1 yellow squash, sliced
2 oz. shiitake mushrooms
2 oz. red pearl onions, peeled and blanched
3 scallions, sliced
1⁄4 cup vegetable stock
1 tbsp. honey
2 tsp. cornstarch
3 cups cooked Israeli couscous
Thyme sprigs, for garnish
1. Marinate tempeh in 1 tbsp. oil, vinegar, thyme, and salt and pepper to taste for 1 hr. Drain before using.
2. In large sauté pan, heat 1 tbsp. oil. Add tempeh and sauté 2 min. until lightly browned. Remove and reserve.
3. In same pan, sauté garlic 1 min. Stir in Brussels sprouts, carrots, bell pepper, and squash; sauté 3 min., adding more oil, if needed. Add mushrooms, onions and scallions; saute 2-3 min., or until vegetables are crisp-tender.
4. Stir stock with honey until blended; stir in cornstarch to dissolve. Stir mixture back into sauté pan and cook until thickened. Add reserved tempeh to heat through.
5. To serve, spoon vegetable mixture over couscous. Garnish with thyme.