Espresso Ice Cream Cups
A dazzling presentation for this cold and creamy treat. Coffee lovers will be delighted by this luscious frozen dessert.
Espresso ice cream:
3 cups heavy cream
1 cup milk
1 cup espresso beans, crushed
8 egg yolks
1⁄2 cup granulated sugar
3 tbsp. espresso beans, finely ground
3 tbsp. coffee liqueur
1 cup vanilla ice cream
8 chocolate cookies
8 chocolate-covered pretzel halves
Ground espresso beans, for garnish
1. In a large saucepan, scald cream, milk, and coffee beans. Remove from heat and infuse mixture for at least 30 min. Strain coffee beans and discard.
2. In a large bowl, beat together yolks and sugar until pale yellow; set aside.
3. Reheat cream mixture to scalding. Pour cream into eggs gradually. Cook over low heat until mixture thickens. Strain and stir in ground espresso and liqueur. Freeze in ice cream maker.
4. Shape softened ice cream into 8 demi-tasse cups, leaving 1⁄4 in. space at the top of each cup. Freeze for 30 min. Spread vanilla ice cream over top of each cup and freeze again.
5. Fill a small pan half way with hot water and place ice cream cup in water for a few seconds. Quickly unmold ice cream and place on cookie. Push pretzel into side of cup and freeze for 15 min. To serve, sprinkle top with ground espresso beans.