Edamame Salad with Raspberry Vinaigrette
Heart-healthy soy appears in three components of this salad—the edamame, tofu croutons and raspberry vinaigrette. The combination makes for a smart choice for a vegetarian lunch, side dish or appetizer.
6 cups freshly chopped greens, washed and dried
½ cup sliced radish
1 med. red onion, julienne cut
3 carrots, julienne cut
2 cups halved grape tomatoes
2 cups shelled edamame, blanched
1/2 cup raspberry vinegar
1/4 cup fresh raspberries
1/4 cup honey
1/2 cup soybean oil
1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
1/2 cup fresh basil leaves, chiffonade
Salt and black pepper, to taste
12 oz. firm water-packed tofu, drained and cubed
1/2 cup soy sauce
1½ cups water
2 tbsp. Ranch Dressing powdered seasoning mix
¾ cup cornstarch
High oleic vegetable oil for deep frying
1. Prepare Salad: In large bowl, combine all ingredients; toss lightly. Chill.
2. Prepare Raspberry Vinaigrette: In blender, combine vinegar, raspberries and honey; puree. Slowly add both oils until emulsified. Transfer to small bowl; whisk in basil, salt and black pepper. Set aside.
3. Prepare Tofu Croutons: In medium bowl, combine soy sauce, water and Ranch Dressing powder; mix well. Add tofu; marinate 4 hours.
4. Remove tofu from marinade; allow to drain. In medium bowl, combine cornstarch and tofu; toss lightly to coat.
5. Heat oil in deep fryer to 350˚F. Fry tofu cubes in hot oil until golden brown. Remove from oil; drain.
6. For service, toss salad with Raspberry Vinaigrette and portion onto small plates; sprinkle with Tofu Croutons.
Recipe courtesy of Pioneer Hi-Bred/Plenish Oil