This outstanding bouillabaisse is full of succulent seafood and Eastern seasonings and vegetables. The result is a fragrant bowl of goodness.
4 egg yolks
2 garlic cloves, minced
1 cup olive oil
Red Thai curry paste, to taste
Lime juice, to taste
2 live lobsters (1 1⁄2 lb. each)
16 shrimp, peeled
1 lb. red snapper filet
1 lb. monkfish filet
16 sea scallops
2 large onions, minced
6 garlic cloves, minced
4 tbsp. gingerroot, minced
4 lemon grass stalks, chopped
12 tbsp. butter
1⁄2 cup tomato paste
Reserved fish bones, chopped
1 cup plum wine
1 cup shiitakes, julienned
8 baby bok choy bulbs,quartered
4 oz. cellophane noodles softened in hot water
1 cup mung bean sprouts
1. In a bowl, whisk together yolks and garlic. Slowly add oil while whisking and season with curry paste and lime juice.
2. Place lobster claws in boiling water and cook for 1 min. Add lobster tails and cook an additional 2 min. Place in ice bath.
3. When cool, remove meat and save shells. Cut lobster, shrimp, snapper, monkfish, and scallops into eight equal portions.
4. In a large pot, sauté onions, garlic, gingerroot, and lemon grass in 8 tbsp. butter. Cook 2-3 min., add tomato paste; and continue cooking.
5. Add reserved lobster shells and fish bones to pot. Add wine and reduce until almost dry. Cover with cold water and simmer for 30 min. Strain liquid and bring back to a simmer.
6. Add shellfish and cook until opened. Add mushrooms, bok choy, seafood, and remaining 4 tbsp. butter. Simmer until seafood is cooked to taste.
7. Add noodles and let stand 1 min. Divide seafood into eight bowls. Ladle hot broth and noodles over each and garnish with aioli and sprouts.