Rice cakes cooked to golden crispness and topped with warm duck confit are a dazzling appetizer. Warm cherry sauce is the perfect garnish.
6 cups risotto, chilled
1 cup wild rice, cooked
1⁄2 cup sage leaves, chopped
Dry sherry, to taste
3⁄4 cup dried cherries
Olive oil, to taste
1 large red onion, finely chopped
1 cup cherry preserves
Salt and pepper, to taste
3 cups duck confit, shredded
1. Mix together the risotto, wild rice, and sage. On a lightly floured surface, flatten the mixture into 1-in. high thickness and cut out 16 circles with a 3-in. round biscuit cutter.
2. In a small pan, heat sherry and add dried cherries. Set aside.
3. Sauté risotto cakes in olive oil over medium high heat, about 10 min. or until warmed through.
4. Over medium high heat, sauté onions until slightly charred. Add cherry preserves, sherry, and cherries. Season with salt and pepper.
5. Plate 2 cakes per serving, and top with warm confit and cherry mixture