Daube De Boeuf (French Beef Stew)
This hearty and satisfying beef dish, infused with wine and herbs, is delicious served over noodles. Provide plenty of crusty bread to mop up all the full-bodied sauce.
12 6-oz. beef cheeks, cleaned
3 tbsp. olive oil
3 onions, diced
12 carrots, diced
12 bay leaves
9 sprigs thyme
9 sprigs sage
4 1⁄2 cups cabernet wine
3 qt. beef, veal or chicken stock
1. Season meat with salt and pepper. In a skillet over medium-high heat, add oil and sear beef cheeks on both sides.
2. Add onions and carrots and sauté until soft.
3. Add herbs and red wine; reduce wine to nearly dry.
4. Add stock to cover and braise at 350° F. about 3 hr.
5. Remove beef from pan and reserve warm. Reduce braising liquid by half and season to taste.
6. Serve beef cheeks with buttered noodles, sautéed seasonal vegetables, such as peas and carrots, and reduced sauce.