Curried Sweet Potato Soup
This hearty soup features tart apples, onion, curry powder, apple juice and plain low-fat yogurt.
1 lb. sweet potatoes
1 large tart apple, such as Fuji, Honeycrisp or Gala
1 tbsp. olive oil
1 large onion, coarsely chopped
2 to 3 tsp. curry powder
1 14-oz. can vegetable broth
3⁄4 tsp. salt
13⁄4 cups unsweetened apple juice
6 oz. plain low-fat yogurt
3⁄4 cup croutons (optional)
1. Pierce sweet potatoes and apple with fork. Microwave on high until apple is very tender, about 6 to 7 minutes. Remove apple and set aside to cool. Continue microwaving sweet potatoes on high until tender, 4 to 5 minutes longer; set aside to cool.
2. Heat oil in large saucepan over medium heat. Add onion and curry powder; cook and stir until onion begins to brown, about 5 minutes. Add broth; bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low and simmer 5 minutes. Transfer to bowl of food processor.
3. Halve sweet potatoes and apple, removing apple core. Scoop potato and apple pulp from skin and add to food processor. Add salt. Whirl until very smooth, gradually adding apple juice through processor feed tube.
4. Transfer mixture back to saucepan and bring to boil over medium heat. Whisk in yogurt and reheat just until hot. Do not boil.
5. Serve topped with croutons, if desired.
Recipe by National Onion Association