Curried Sweet Potato Apple Soup
Warm and comforting, this soup features sweet potatoes, tart apples, onion, curry powder and low-fat yogurt.
1 lb. sweet potatoes
8 oz. tart apple (Fuji, Honey Crisp or Gala)
1 tbsp. olive oil
2 cups onion, coarsely chopped
2 to 3 tsp. curry powder
1 3/4 cups vegetable broth
3/4 tsp. salt
1 3/4 cups unsweetened apple juice
6 oz. plain low-fat yogurt
3/4 cup croutons, optional
1. Pierce sweet potatoes and apples with fork tines.
2. Microwave sweet potatoes and apple on high until apple is very tender, about 6 to 7 mins. Remove apple; set aside until cool enough to handle.
3. Continue microwaving sweet potatoes on high until tender, about 4 to 5 mins more. Set aside until cool enough to handle.
4. Meanwhile, in large saucepan over medium heat, heat oil. Add onion and curry powder. Cook and stir until onion begins to brown, about 5 mins. Add broth. Bring to boil; reduce heat to low; simmer 5 mins.
5. Transfer broth mixture to food processor; reserve saucepan.
6. Halve sweet potatoes and apple. Remove apple core, scoop potato and apple pulp from skin. Add to processor.
7. Add salt; whirl until very smooth, gradually adding apple juice through processor feed tube. Transfer mixture to reserved saucepan.
8. Bring to boil over medium heat; whisk in plain yogurt. Reheat just until hot (do not boil). Serve topped with croutons, if desired.
Recipe by North Carolina Sweet Potato Commission