Cuban Empanadas Winsor
Add some variety to your ethnic cuisine with these Cuban empanadas, which are filled with flavor, spices and ground beef.
3 lb. ground beef
1/4 cup canola oil
3 oz. jalapeño chili peppers, seeded, minced
4 oz. chopped green onions
12 oz. white onions, 1/4-in. diced
1 tbsp. + 1 tsp. chopped garlic
2 tsp. Spanish paprika
1 tsp. ground cumin
1 tsp. ground thyme
1/2 tsp. allspice
1/2 tsp. ground mustard
1/4 tsp. ground cloves
2 cups tomato sauce
1/2 cup plain breadcrumbs
2 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp. ground cayenne pepper
1 tsp. ground black pepper
60 6-in. pie dough circles
1 cup oil liquid butter alternative
- Brown ground beef, drain and set aside.
- Heat canola oil and sauté jalapeños, green onion and white onions. Combine with cooked ground beef.
- Mix chopped garlic, Spanish paprika, ground cumin, ground thyme, allspice, ground mustard and ground cloves. Add to cooked beef and pepper mixture and cook for 30 seconds to combine flavors.
- Stir in tomato sauce and bring to a simmer.
- Add breadcrumbs, salt, cayenne pepper and black pepper. Cook for 20 minutes to blend flavors.
- Keep filling warm and use for empanadas.
- To make empanadas, place two #30 dishers of filling on each 6-inch pie dough circle. Fold over and seal tightly (press open edges together with fork). Brush tops with butter alternative and bake for 15 minutes at 375°F in convection oven.