Crispy Turkey and Shrimp Salad
A crunchy, crispy salad, satisfying as a meal. The turkey and shrimp, along with the Asian flavors and colorful vegetables, make this salad a sure palate pleaser.
2 tbsp. soy sauce
1⁄2 cup rice wine vinegar
1 1⁄2 cups olive oil
1 tsp. red pepper flakes
20 oz. mushrooms, halved
Oil for frying, as needed
2 lb. turkey breast, cut into 3⁄4-in. chunks
24 oz. small shrimp, shelled and deveined
4 cups Japanese bread crumbs
2 tbsp. olive oil
24 oz. rice noodles, prepared according to package
16 cups mesclun mix
4 cups napa cabbage, shredded
4 cups carrots, shredded
3 large cucumbers, peeled and sliced
1 cup almonds, sliced
1⁄2 cup cilantro, chopped
Cilantro, for garnish
Almonds, sliced, for garnish
1. In a small bowl, whisk together soy sauce, rice wine vinegar, 11⁄2 cups oil and red pepper flakes. Season to taste; reserve.
2. Brush mushrooms with oil and broil or grill until golden.
3. In batches, toss turkey and shrimp with breadcrumbs until thoroughly coated; shake off excess. In a deep pan or wok, heat 2 tablespoons oil and fry turkey and shrimp until golden and cooked through.
4. In a large bowl, combine noodles, mesclun, cabbage, carrots, cucumber, almonds and cilantro. Add turkey, shrimp and mushrooms and toss thoroughly with reserved vinaigrette.
5. Mound salad on a plate and garnish with cilantro and almonds.