Crispy Microbrew Onion Rings
The ultimate appetizer, these onion rings reach new heights with the addition of Panko bread crumbs and microbrew ale to the tempura batter. Make plenty, they will go fast.
1 each large yellow, red, and white onion, sliced in
2 1⁄3 cups prepared tempura batter mix
1 1⁄2 cups cold microbrew ale
6 cups Panko (Japanese breadcrumbs)
3 tbsp. minced Italian parsley
1 1⁄2 tsp. celery seed
1 1⁄2 tsp. dried thyme
1. Separate onion slices into rings. For best results prior to breading, soak onion rings in cold water and peel away membranes around each ring.
2. Whisk tempura batter mix, and microbrew ale together in stainless steel bowl until smooth.
3. Toss together remaining ingredients in a 2-in. full hotel pan. Dip rings into batter; coat well. Let excess batter drip off, then dip in breading. Gently press breading into rings to help it stick. Let rings sit in breading until the pan is full.
4. Transfer breaded rings to parchment-lined sheet pans that have been lightly sprinkled with Panko. Refrigerate until ready to serve.
5. Deep fry rings at 375°F for 2-3 min. or until golden brown. Drain on towels; serve.