Cream of Onion Soup with Port Wine
This recipe puts a new spin on the classic Cream of Onion Soup recipe.
3 3/8 oz. butter
1 2/3 lb. yellow onion, 1/4-in. sliced
13 1/2 oz. potato, peeled, 1/2-in. cubed
1 2/3 tbsp. sugar
1 2/3 oz. red wine vinegar
3 3/8 oz. port wine
3/8 tsp. salt
3/8 tsp. pepper
3/8 tsp. fresh thyme
1 1/4 qt. water
1 1/4 oz. no MSG chicken base
5 oz. heavy whipping cream
1 1/4 tsp. butter
1 Granny Smith apple, peeled, cored, 1/8-in. diced
1 2/3 tbsp. dried, sweetened cranberries
1 2/3 tbsp. sliced, blanched almonds
1/8 tsp. ground cinnamon
5/8 tsp. sugar
- In soup pot, heat first listed butter over medium heat until melted. Add onion and sauté for 3 to 4 minutes until softened.
- Add potato and sauté for 3 minutes.
- Stir in first-listed sugar. Cook for 3 minutes or until vegetables are caramelized.
- Stir in vinegar and deglaze pan; cook until reduced to almost dry.
- Stir in wine; cook until reduced to almost dry.
- Stir in salt, pepper and thyme. Cook for 1 minute.
- Add water and base, stir until base is completely dissolved. Cook for 20 minutes or until potato is fully cooked.
- In batches, transfer potato mixture to blender and process until puréed. Strain purée through fine-mesh strainer. Return to clean soup pot.
- Stir in cream and cook for 10 minutes. Remove from heat and hold for service.
- In sauté pan, heat second-listed butter over medium heat until melted.
- Add apple and cook for 2 minutes.
- Stir in cranberries and almonds and cook for 1 minute.
- Stir in cinnamon and sugar and cook for 2 minutes. Remove from heat and hold for service.
- Portion out soup and garnish with apple mixture and fresh thyme sprigs.