Colorado Lamb Sliders with Onion Confit and Mustard Crema
Executive Chef Paul Anders
Consumers are looking beyond beef in burger meat options, with 17% saying they would consider ordering a lamb burger, according to Technomic’s Burger Consumer Trend Report. At Sweet Basil restaurant, chef Anders forms ground lamb into slider-size patties, then tops the grilled mini-burgers with two onion preparations, mustard sauce and pickles.
2 cups heavy cream
2 tbsp. buttermilk
3 tbsp. Dijon mustard
3 tbsp. grainy mustard
2 tbsp. cooked garlic puree
Salt and pepper, to taste
3 large Spanish onions, finely diced
1 lb. butter
¼ oz. fresh thyme sprigs, tied
Pickled red onions
3 cups water
1½ cups red wine vinegar
1 tbsp. pickling spice
½ cup sugar
1 red onion, sliced 1/8-in. thick
4 lb. ground lamb
½ bunch parsley, chopped
1 tbsp. chopped cilantro
2 tsp. chopped mint
1 tbsp. garam masala spice blend
2 tbsp. Worcestershire sauce
2 tbsp. Dijon mustard
Salt and pepper, to taste
Bread and butter pickle slices
24 brioche slider buns
48 watercress leaves
1. Prepare mustard sauce: In nonreactive container, combine cream and buttermilk; cover with cheesecloth. Let mixture stand at room temperature 24 hours until cream thickens into sour cream consistency.
2. In medium bowl, combine 2 cups thickened cream, mustards, garlic puree and salt and pepper; mix until thoroughly combined and set aside.
3. Prepare onion confit: Combine all ingredients in large saucepan over low heat; melt butter. Continue to cook over very low heat until onions are al dente.
4. Strain butter and remove thyme; reserve butter for toasting the buns and set onions aside and keep warm.
5. Prepare pickled red onions: In large saucepan, combine water, wine vinegar, pickling spice and sugar; slowly bring mixture to a boil. Remove from heat and let mixture cool to room temperature.
6. Strain spices from liquid and pour over onions, Let marinate for about 1 hour; remove onions from liquid.
7. For sliders, combine ground lamb, parsley, cilantro, mint, spice blend, Worcestershire, mustard and salt and pepper to taste. Form mixture into 24 patties. Cook sliders on griddle or grill for 3 to 4 minutes per side or until of medium doneness.
8. Brush each bun with reserved onion butter; toast until golden. For service, place each slider on bun bottom; top with 1 teaspoon mustard sauce, ½ teaspoon warm onion confit, 2 watercress leaves and bun top. Serve 3 sliders per person; garnish plate with pickles and pickled red onions.
Photo courtesy of American Lamb Board