Coffee-Roasted Veal Loin with Smoked Oyster Mushrooms
This veal loin has a coffee-based rub, which pairs great with morel mushrooms, cauliflower, blueberries and Brussels sprouts.
20 4-oz. veal loin portions
2 cups crushed anodyne coffee beans
2 tbsp. salt
2 heads cauliflower
1 tbsp. yellow curry powder
2 cups 2% milk
2 cups chicken stock
1 tbsp. salt
3 lb. oyster mushrooms
½ cup pickling spice
1 tbsp. butter
1 tsp. canola oil
1 tbsp. white wine
1 tsp. lemon thyme, leaves left whole
80 blueberries, for garnish, four per serving
20 tsp. butter, for garnish, 1 tsp. per serving
40 blanched Brussels sprouts, quartered, for garnish, 2 per serving
1. Roll edges of veal in crushed coffee. Sear in hot skillet. Finish in oven to desired doneness.
2. Combine cauliflower, curry powder, milk, chicken stock and salt in saucepot. Cover. Simmer until cauliflower is cooked through. Remove from heat. Puree until baby smooth. Strain.
3. Toast pickling spice in dry pan until it starts to smolder. Transfer to metal baking pan.
4. Place mushrooms in perforated pan over top and wrap tightly to trap smoke. Put over low heat to allow spice to continue smoldering. Smoke mushrooms.
5. To order: Melt butter, add mushrooms and thyme. Saute Deglaze with wine. Season to taste. Garnish and serve.
Recipe by Watertown Regional Medical Center, Watertown, Wisc.