Coffee Granita and Almond Ice
This combination of a scoop of sweet cinnamon and coffee granita paired with a scoop of almond milk ice brings two trending flavors into one frozen treat.
3 qt. water
14 oz. sugar
4 oz. ground espresso
3 cinnamon sticks
8 cardamom pods, crushed
1 star anise
Almond milk ice
4 cups (1 lb.) whole blanched almonds, toasted
1 qt. whole milk
3 qt. half & half, divided
2 cups sugar
1 bottle (750 ml.) almond syrup
6 cups sliced almonds, toasted
1. Prepare granita: In a large pot, bring all ingredients to a boil. Turn off heat; steep 15 minutes.
2. Strain into a 2-inch-deep hotel pan. Freeze, stirring every few hours. Break into chunks.
3. Prepare almond ice: Bring whole almonds, milk, 1 qt. half & half and sugar to a boil. Remove from heat, cool and puree.
4. Strain; stir in 2 quarts half & half and syrup. Pour into a 4-inch-deep hotel pan. Freeze, whisking every few hours.
5. For service: In a tall glass, layer sliced almonds, granita and almond ice. Garnish with more sliced almonds.