Citrus-marinated Steak Tacos with Roasted Grape Salsa
Hearty steak tacos with a fruity touch are a delight. The grape salsa adds just the perfect touch of sweetness and tang to these spicy tacos.
1⁄4 cup cumin seeds
1⁄4 cup whole peppercorns
1⁄2 cup orange juice
1⁄2 cup lime juice
1⁄4 cup sherry vinegar
1⁄2 cup olive oil
4 lb. skirt steak, trimmed
1 cup green grapes, halved
1 cup red grapes, halved
1⁄2 cup scallions, chopped
1 jalapeño, seeded, chopped
1 bunch fresh cilantro, chopped
16 corn tortillas
32 oz. jack cheese, shredded
1. In a pan over medium heat, toast cumin seeds and peppercorns until fragrant,
approx. 3 min. Cool, then grind. Reserve.
2. Combine orange juice and half the lime juice, sherry, and olive oil. Marinate steaks in mixture for at least 30 min.
3. Meanwhile, roast grapes at 350° F. until skin blisters. Cool. In a large bowl, combine grapes, scallion, jalapeño, cilantro, and remaining lime juice, vinegar, and olive oil. Reserve.
4. Remove steak from marinade and season with salt and cumin-pepper mix. Grill over high heat, approx. 4-5 min. per side. Allow to rest.
5. Slice steak on bias and place into warmed tortillas. Top with grape salsa and cheese.