Chorizo Potato Croquettes
Folded into mashed potatoes, chorizo adds bold notes of flavor and texture. Serve these croquettes topped with spicy crema; they can work as either a shared appetizer or a side.
10 lb. red potatoes
1 lb. unsalted butter
6 oz. heavy cream
3 cups Mexican cheese blend
2 cups chopped green onions
Kosher salt and ground black pepper, to taste
9 oz. crema
3 oz. Mexican Cholula hot sauce
2 tbsp. diced yellow onion
2 tbsp. chopped serrano chile pepper
2 cups cooked, crumbled chorizo
Fine panko bread crumbs
Vegetable oil for frying
Cilantro sprigs, for garnish
- In large pot, cover potatoes with water; bring to a boil. Boil potatoes until just past fork tender; place in large bowl.
- In saucepan, combine butter and heavy cream; cook until butter is melted. Pour mixture into bowl with potatoes; add cheese. Mix with wire whisk until all ingredients are incorporated. Stir in green onions; season with salt and pepper; reserve queso mashed potatoes.
- Prepare Chohula crema: Blend Chohula sauce, onions and serrano chilies until smooth. Add crema and mix well. Refrigerate until ready to use.
- In stainless steel mixing bowl, combine queso mashed potatoes and chorizo. On scale, measure 1.5 oz portions and roll into balls for croquettes.
- Bread balls by dusting with flour, coating with beaten egg and rolling in panko.
- Heat oil to 350°F in large, deep pot or deep fryer. Fry croquettes for 3-5 min. until golden brown and center temperature reaches 150°F. Remove from pot; drain on paper towels.
- For service, arrange croquettes on plate; top with Chohula crema and garnish with cilantro.