Chocolate Hazelnut Ricotta Pie
Dark chocolate, hazelnut liqueur and ricotta cheese are folded into a sweet cream mixture and baked in a ground hazelnut crust for a sweet and crunchy treat.
2 1⁄2 cups plus 2 tbsp. all-purpose flour, divided
1⁄4 cup hazelnuts, finely ground
7 egg yolks, divided
2⁄3 cup plus 2 tsp. sugar
6 tbsp. unsalted butter
7-8 tbsp. cold water
3⁄4 cup plus 1 tbsp. milk
1⁄4 cup heavy cream
3 oz. bittersweet chocolate, chopped (about 1⁄4 cup)
1⁄4 cup hazelnut liqueur
8 oz. ricotta cheese
1 egg white, beaten stiff
Whipped cream, for garnish
1. For pastry: Combine 2_ cups flour, hazelnuts, 3 egg yolks, 1⁄3 cup sugar, butter and water in food processor. Pulse until dough forms a ball. Shape into disk, wrap, and refrigerate.
2. For filling: Beat 3 egg yolks with 1⁄3 cup sugar until light yellow. Add remaining 2 tbsp. flour, 3⁄4 cup milk, and cream. Cook mixture in double boiler, stirring, until thick.
3. Stir chocolate and hazelnut liqueur into the filling mixture until chocolate melts; cool. Blend in ricotta and salt; fold in beaten egg white until well mixed. Set aside for 10 min.
4. Preheat oven to 350ºF. Butter and flour a 10-in. pie pan. Roll out 3⁄4 of the dough and line pie pan. Pour in filling.
5. Roll out remaining dough and cover pie; crimp edges. Beat remaining egg yolk with 1 tbsp. milk and brush top crust.
6. Bake in a 350º F oven 35-40 min., until golden brown, Cool, slice, and top with cream.