Chipotle Shrimp Taco with Avocado
The sustainability of the seafood and students’ love of tacos make this a popular dish on the Richmond campus, according to Executive Chef Glenn Pruden.
1 small onion, quartered
1 jalapeño, quartered, seeds optional
1 clove garlic, smashed
3 tbsp. fresh lime juice
4 medium tomatillos, husked, rinsed, coarsely chopped
1/2 avocado, peeled, cut into chunks
1 1/4 tsp. kosher salt
1/4 cup coarsely chopped fresh cilantro leaves
1 tbsp. olive oil
1 tsp. chipotle or blended chili powder
1 tsp. kosher salt
1 lb. medium shrimp, peeled, deveined
8 corn tortillas
8 sprigs cilantro for garnish
2 limes, cut into wedges for garnish
- Place onion, jalapeño, lime juice and garlic in food processor and finely chop. Add tomatillos, avocado and salt, and pulse until chopped but still chunky. Transfer to bowl and stir in cilantro
- Heat stovetop or outdoor grill to medium-high.
- Mix olive oil, chipotle/chili powder and salt in large bowl. Add shrimp and toss to coat. Grill shrimp until translucent, about 1 1/2 to 2 minutes on each side.
- Grill tortillas until pliable and slightly charred, about 20 seconds per side. Spoon sauce on tortilla, then top with 2 or 3 shrimp and sprig of cilantro.
- Serve 2 tacos per person, with lime wedge on side.
Recipe by University of Richmond