Eastern and Western flavors meld in this light, creamy chicken curry salad wrapped in a whole-wheat flour tortilla. Recipe features tender chicken breast, curry mayonnaise, raisins, almonds, crisp lettuce and Uncle Ben’s® naturel™ Wild Red Wholegrain Blend.
1 qt (4 cups) Water
1½ tbsp. Butter
2 tsp. Salt
1 lb. Uncle Ben’s® naturel™ Wild Red Wholegrain Blend
2 cups Mayonnaise
½ cup Curry powder
1 tbsp. Salt, kosher
1 cup Scallions, white and green parts, chopped
1 cup Raisins (preferably golden), plumped in hot water for 2 minutes
1½ cups Almonds, slivered, toasted
8 cups (approx. 4 lbs) Chicken breast, boneless, skinless, cooked, cubed 1/2”
36 Whole wheat flour tortillas, 8”
2¼ cups Major Grey’s chutney, solids chopped
36 Romaine lettuce leaves, stem ends trimmed, 7” long
1. Bring water to boil. Add butter, salt, and rice; stir.
2. Cover tightly and simmer (over low heat) until most of the water is absorbed (about 20-25 minutes).
3. Transfer to a sheet pan and cool. Reserve chilled.
4. Combine mayonnaise, curry powder, salt, scallions, raisins and almonds.
5. Add chicken and stir to coat with curry mayonnaise. May be held refrigerated for up to 24 hours.
6. To assemble wrap, lay tortilla on a flat work surface. Spread 1 tablespoon chutney over the entire wrap.
7. Lay 1 lettuce leaf on tortilla, with the tip of the leaf touching the edge of the tortilla that is farthest from you. The edge of the tortilla closest to you should remain uncovered.
8. Spread ¼ cup chicken curry mixture in center of lettuce. Top with ¼ cup of Uncle Ben’s® naturel™ Wild Red Wholegrain Blend.
9. Fold the bottom, uncovered edge of the tortilla towards the center of the tortilla and over the filling. Fold the left and right sides of the tortilla towards the center of the tortilla until they overlap over the filling. The chutney should hold the wrap together.
- Serve individual wrap as a grab-and-go item for eating on the run.
- For a light meal, pair one wrap with a seasonal fruit salad or soup.
- Commercially prepared chutney makes an excellent condiment on the side.