This version of the a classic chicken curry features chicken thighs, diced tomatoes, raisins, cauliflower florets, cardamom pods, peppercorns, onion and cumin.
5 medium cloves Christopher Ranch California garlic
1 2-in. piece fresh ginger
1⁄4 cup water
3 tbsp. vegetable oil
1 3-in. cinnamon stick
4 whole cloves
4 cardamom pods
8 to 10 peppercorns
1 medium onion, halved, thinly sliced
2 tsp. ground cumin
2 tsp. ground coriander
1 tsp. garam masala
1⁄2 tsp. ground turmeric
1⁄2 tsp. salt
Cayenne pepper to taste
1⁄2 cup whole-milk yogurt
8 bone-in chicken thighs, skinned
1 cup diced tomato with juice
1⁄2 medium-sized jalapeño pepper, finely chopped (or to taste)
1⁄2 cup raisins
11⁄2 cups water
3 cups cauliflower florets
1⁄4 cup chopped fresh cilantro
1. Purée garlic, ginger and water in blender until smooth. Set aside.
2. Heat large sauté pan or Dutch oven to medium-high heat. Add oil and swirl to coat bottom of pan. Add cinnamon stick, cloves, cardamom and peppercorns and fry until they pop and are very aromatic, about 20 seconds.
3. Add onion and sauté, stirring often, until well softened and golden brown, about five minutes.
4. Add ginger/garlic paste, ground spices, salt, cayenne to taste and yogurt, and sauté, stirring
constantly, until oil turns orange and begins to separate, most of liquid evaporates and color darkens, about five minutes.
5. Lay chicken in pan. Add tomato, jalapeño, raisins and 1½ cups water. Bring to a lively simmer, cover and cook 20 minutes, adjusting heat to maintain the simmer.
6. Add cauliflower, turn chicken pieces and continue to simmer until chicken is very tender, about 15 minutes.
7. Taste and adjust for seasoning. Sprinkle with chopped cilantro.
Recipe by Christopher Ranch