Chicken Breasts with Roasted Tomatillo-Avocado Salsa
For the tomatillo-avocado salsa:
3 lb. tomatillos, peeled, cored
1 lb. onions, quartered
7 oz. (about 6 whole) jalapeño peppers, seeded
Chopped fresh cilantro
3 tbsp. olive or vegetable oil
1 tbsp. salt
1⁄4 tsp. ground black pepper
For the fideos:
1⁄2 oz. (1/3 cup) olive or vegetable oil
1 1⁄2 lb. tomatoes, in 1⁄4 -inch dice
8 oz. onion, finely chopped
1 tbsp. salt
1 tsp. ground black pepper
2 cups chicken broth
8 oz. fideos or dried angel hair pasta
For the chicken:
12 boneless, skinless chicken breast halves (5 to 6 oz each)
Salt to taste
Ground black pepper to taste
1 lb. ripe Mexican avocados, pitted, peeled and diced
4 oz. Gouda cheese,
1. To make the tomatillo-avocado salsa: Preheat oven to 450°F. In a roasting pan, combine tomatillos, onion quarters and jalapeños; lightly coat with oil; roast until tomatillos are browned and vegetables are tender, about 45 minutes.
2. Drain tomatillo mixture, reserving the juices, and transfer to a food processor container. Process, adding reserved liquid as necessary, to make a slightly chunky sauce. Add the cilantro, 3 tablespoons oil, 1 tablespoon salt and 1⁄4 teaspoon black pepper; process until blended. Set aside.
3. To make the fideos: Break fideos into large pieces (do not take nests apart). Over medium-high heat, heat enough oil to cover the bottom of a large ovenproof skillet. Sauté fideos just until golden, about 1 minute.
4. To skillet, add tomatoes, onion, 1 tablespoon salt, 1 teaspoon black pepper and chicken broth; toss well. Cover skillet tightly; cook until pastais tender, 12 to 15 minutes.
5. For the chicken: Season chicken breasts with salt and black pepper. In a skillet, over medium-high heat, heat enough oil to cover the bottom. Add chicken; cook, turning once, until cooked through, about 7 minutes. Cut in thick slices.
6. For each serving, to order: Heat reserved tomatillo mixture until warm; stir in 1⁄3
of diced avocado. Stir Gouda cheese into hot fideos. In the center of 12 dinner plates, mound fideos, dividing equally. Fan chicken breast slices around fideos. Spoon tomatillo-avocado salsa around chicken; scatter the remaining diced avocado over salsa. If desired, garnish with baby greens.