Chef Meg’s Curried Chicken Pita
Curry powder, cumin and garlic combine to give this chicken pita an Indian flair. The pita also includes peas, yogurt, onions, peanutsm and ginger.
1⁄2 cup onions, diced
1 tsp. ginger
2 cloves garlic
1 tsp. curry powder
1 tsp. cumin
1 lime, cut in half (reserve half for deglazing pan)
2 tsp. vegetable oil
1⁄2 cup onions, sliced
1 lb. extra-lean ground chicken
2 tbsp. low-fat plain yogurt
2 tbsp. water
11⁄2 cups frozen peas
4 green onions, sliced
2 tbsp. cilantro, chopped
2 tbsp. low-salt roasted peanuts, chopped
4 whole-wheat pitas, cut in half
4 cups lettuce or dark greens, chopped
1. Place first six ingredients into blender or food processor. Purée until thick paste forms.
2. In large sauté pan over moderate heat, add oil. Once oil is hot, add sliced onions. Sauté about 5 mins., stirring often, until onions start to turn light brown.
3. Add sauce to pan and cook until bottom of pan starts to turn brown. Squeeze remaining half of lime into pan and scrape up brown bits from bottom of pan with wooden spoon.
4. Add chicken to pan and cook about 10 mins.
5. Add yogurt, water, peas and green onions to pan. Stir and cook 2 mins. Remove from heat and garnish with cilantro and nuts.
6. Fill each pita with ½ cup of greens and ½ cup of meat mixture.
Recipe by Sparkpeople.com