Chef Cameron’s Turkey Brine
Cameron Clegg, executive chef for Parkhurst Dining Services at Highmark in Pittsburgh created this brine for a Thanksgiving dinner. He says it helps break down the turkey, adds flavor and keeps it moist.
1 gal. water
1 cup kosher salt
1⁄2 cup sugar
1 onion, peeled, cut into large chunks
1 sprig fresh rosemary
1 sprig fresh thyme
3 bay leaves
4 garlic cloves
To make brine:
1. Place all ingredients in stock pot and bring to a boil.
2. Cool to below 40°F. (If short on time, boil only half the water, then add ice to make 1 gallon.)
1. Submerge raw turkey or turkey breast in brine, making sure brine completely covers it.
2. Refrigerate for 24 to 48 hours.
3. Discard brine, rinse turkey under cold water and pat dry with paper towels. Roast turkey as usual.