These popular bars from Iowa State feature oatmeal, brown sugar, chocolate chips, walnuts and caramel topping, all of which combine to make an gooey delight.
6 oz. whole-wheat flour
4 oz. oatmeal cereal
9 oz. brown sugar
¾ tsp. baking soda
¼ tsp. salt
7 oz. margarine, melted
1 oz. + 1 tsp. whole-wheat flour
9 oz. caramel topping
9 oz. chocolate chips
3 oz. chopped walnuts
1. Combine first listed flour with oatmeal, sugar, baking soda and salt in mixing bowl; mix well. Add melted margarine to flour mixture and mix well.
2. Combine second listed flour and caramel topping; mix well. Add walnuts and chocolate chips, mix just to incorporate. Mixture will be very thick.
3. Lightly press half of crumb mixture into pans. Do not pack. Drop caramel nut mixture randomly over crust. Spread evenly with metal spatula. Sprinkle with remaining crumb mixture.
4. Bake at 325°F in rack oven for 15 to 20 minutes until golden brown.
5. Cool bars and cut into portions.
Recipe by Iowa State University, Ames