Cappuccino Mushroom Soup
A creative presentation for a savory soup. The earthy flavor of the mushrooms is enhanced by the sherry and the shallots.
1 lb. assorted mushrooms, diced
2 large shallots, finely chopped
1-2 tbsp. butter
1 tbsp. porcini powder
1 tsp. sugar
1⁄4 cup dry sherry or white wine
4 cups mushroom or chicken stock
1⁄2 tsp. herbes de provence
Salt and pepper, to taste
1 1⁄4 cups heavy cream
Snipped chives, for garnish
1. Heat butter in large saucepan. Add mushrooms, shallots, 1-2 tsp. porcini powder, and sugar; sauté 5 min.
2. Add sherry; bring to a boil. Cook until liquid evaporates. Stir in mushroom stock, herbes, and salt and pepper; bring to a boil.
3. Reduce heat; cover and simmer 15 min. Stir in 1 cup cream and heat through.
4. Spoon off 2 tbsp. soup liquid without solids and stir into remaining 1⁄4 cup cream; reserve. Puree remaining soup.
5. Foam reserved cream and soup liquid with an aerator or whisk. Pour pureed soup into cappuccino cups; spoon foam on top. Garnish with chives and remaining porcini powder.