Cappellacci di Zucca
These tender pasta hats are filled with a delectable butternut squash and amaretti cookie mixture. Sauced with pears and parmesan, this is stunning dish.
6 lb. butternut squash
1⁄2 cup butter
2 tsp. cinnamon powder
1⁄4 tsp. fresh nutmeg, ground
6 oz. amaretti cookies, crushed
6 tbsp. prepared mustard fruits
6 oz. Parmesan cheese, grated
Salt and pepper, to taste
3 Bartlett pears, peeled and diced
8 oz. clarified butter
4 1⁄2 cups flour
1 1⁄2 cups water
Salt, to taste
1. Cut the squash in half, remove the seeds and place on baking tray. Top with butter and sprinkle with cinnamon. Bake at 500° F. for 45 min., flip squash over and cook for another 30-40 min. or until squash is soft.
2. Remove skin and pass through food mill. When cool, add nutmeg, 4 oz. cookies, mustard fruits, 4 oz. Parmesan cheese, and eggs; season with salt and pepper.
3. Prepare pasta and roll into sheets 6-in. wide and 12-in. long. Place 1⁄2 tbsp. of filling 21⁄2-in. from the edge of pasta width, leaving 1-in. on either side of filling.
4. With a small brush, wet pasta with water between each scoop of filling. Cut between each filling and form 24 squares. Fold each square diagonally, leaving bottom half exposed. Use thumb and forefinger to hold center of pasta, fold exposed side of pasta over thumb and press down to form pasta into little hats (cappellacci). Repeat with each square.
5. Place pasta on a dry pan dusted with flour. Cook in boiling water for 3-4 min.
6. Sauté pears in clarified butter. Add cooked pasta to pears and top with Parmesan cheese and remaining cookies. Serve immediately.