Campfire Side Salad
This Campfire Side Salad recipe, from the Mt. Lebanon (Pa.) School District, was designed to meet the legumes section of the new school meal regulations. The recipe features black beans, but it also includes asparagus, carrots and green beans to help the district also meet vegetable requirements.
1 cup sherry vinegar
4 tsp. sugar
8 tbsp. oregano
Salt and pepper to taste
2 cups oil
8 lb. asparagus, ends trimmed
4 lb. fresh green beans, cut into pieces
6 cups shredded carrots
1. Whisk together vinegar, sugar and oregano. Season with salt and pepper.
2. Slowly add oil, whisking constantly to emulsify. Set aside.
3. Blanch asparagus in steamer for 3 to 5 minutes. Immediately shock in ice bath to stop cooking process.
4. Repeat for green beans. Make sure all vegetables are well drained.
5. Combine carrots, black beans, asparagus and green beans in mixing bowl.
6. Pour vinaigrette over vegetables and mix thoroughly.
7. Portion salad into 6-ounce containers.
Recipe by Mt. Lebanon (Pa.) School District