California Cucumber and Yogurt Gazpacho
Gazpacho is traditionally a tomato-based cold soup but this version uses cucumbers as the main flavor as well as spinach, yogurt and crème fraîche.
21⁄4 cups plain real California yogurt
1⁄2 cup crème fraîche
11⁄4 lb. English cucumbers, trimmed,peeled, cut into 1-in. pieces
4 cups washed spinach
2 cloves garlic, minced
11⁄2 tsp. salt
1 tbsp. lemon juice
11⁄2 tsp. ground cumin
2 tbsp. fresh dill
1⁄2 tsp. toasted caraway seeds
2 cucumbers, thinly sliced
1 tbsp. salt
1⁄4 cup plain California yogurt
1⁄4 cup crème fraîche
Juice from half a lemon
1 tbsp. chopped dill
1. Combine all ingredients in blender. Purée until smooth.
2. Strain through fine sieve into large bowl. Refrigerate until well chilled, about 2 hours.
3. Serve with Dill-Cucumber Salad (recipe follows).
For Dill-Cucumber Salad:
1. Place cucumber slices in medium bowl. Sprinkle salt over cucumbers and let rest for 20 to 30 minutes.
2. Squeeze and drain all liquid from cucumbers. Let sit another 20 minutes and repeat process.
3. Combine remaining ingredients with cucumbers. Garnish each serving of soup with salad.
Recipe by California Dairy Advisory Board