California Cheese Quiche
California cheese makers large and small produce a wide variety, including some California originals, such as Monterey Jack. The dairy industry in the state also contributes specialty items like ice cream and crème fraiche. Chef Jeanty combines three California cheeses and a few dollops of rich crème fraiche in this classic quiche served at his wine country restaurant.
1 1/2 cups thinly sliced leeks
2 tbsp. butter
Salt and pepper
12 oz. crème fraîche
2 whole eggs
1 pre-baked 9-in. tart shell
4 oz. thinly sliced cooked ham
1/3 cup shredded California Monterey Jack cheese
1/3 cup shredded California Fontina cheese
1/3 cup shredded California mozzarella cheese
- In sauté pan, sweat leeks in butter until soft; season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Whisk together crème fraiche, eggs, 1/4 tsp. pepper and 1/8 tsp. nutmeg.
- Wrap tart shell (while still in pan) in aluminum foil on the bottom and up sides. Line bottom and sides of tart shell with ham.
- Gently mix together cheeses and fill tart shell with cheese mixture. Be careful not to pack it in. Dot top of quiche with leeks.
- Pour in crème fraiche mixture. Be careful that it does not overflow the edges, as it will stick.
- Cover quiche with aluminum foil and bake at 350˚F about 1 1/4 hr. or until set.