California Avocado Margarita Chiffon Pie
The classic flavors of a margarita combine with avocados for an innovative treat.
21⁄2 oz. Knox unflavored gelatin
1 cup sugar, divided
1⁄2 tsp. salt
11⁄2 cups puréed avocado
1⁄2 cup lime juice
4 eggs, separated
1⁄4 cup tequila
3 tbsp. triple sec
1 baked 9- or 10-in. pie shell
1. In heavy saucepan, thoroughly mix gelatin, ¾ cup sugar and salt. Stir in avocado purée, lime juice, egg yolks, tequila and triple sec.
2. Cook over medium heat, stirring until gelatin is dissolved, about 10 minutes.
3. Chill mixture, stirring occasionally, until mixture mounds slightly when dropped from spoon.
4. Beat egg whites until stiff but not dry; beat in remaining sugar. Lightly stir 1 cup egg white into gelatin mixture to lighten. Then fold gelatin mixture into egg whites until thoroughly incorporated.
5. Pour into baked pie shell; chill until firm. Serve topped with whipped cream, if desired.
Recipe by California Avocado Commission